ESL / EFL English speaking lessons
Expressing suggestions in English
What is suggestion?
Expressing suggestion – A suggestion is (the verb is to suggest) any idea or a plan that you say to someone to think about. In everyday life situations, people may be confused about something and want to hear suggestions from others. So, they ask them. In this lesson, you will be introduced to the expressions that you can use to express suggestions in English. In English, there are plenty of exponents, but these are the most common ones.
Asking for suggestions in English
- What is your suggestion about + (noun or V+ing)?
- What do you suggest for + noun?
- Do you suggest anything?
- What do you suggest?
- What should we do?
Making suggestions in English
- How about +(noun or v +ing)
- What about +(noun or v +ing)
- Why don’t we + v (infinitive)?
- Let’s + v +infinitive
- I suggest +(noun or v +ing)
- We should + verb (infinitive)
Responding to suggestions in English
- That’s a good idea
- What a fantastic idea
- It’s a great idea
- Ok, let’s + verb (infinitive)
- No, let’s not +(noun or v +ing)
- It’s not really interesting. I think we should ….
Examples of expressing suggestion in English
- A: Let’s invite our friends to our party.
- B: that sounds great.
- A: Let’s not make a noise. Our neighbors are sleeping.
- B: Ok, let’s not.
- A: what do you suggest for the next holiday?
- B: I suggest going on a trip.
- A: That sounds fantastic.
- A: what should we do this afternoon? We have nothing to do.
- B: Why don’t we play some basketball?
Check your understanding