EFL/ESL English Speaking Lessons
Expressing surprise and interest in English
What is interest?
Expressing interest – Interest is the feeling that you have when you want to know and learn more. If you are interested in something, you may say: “I’m really interested in…”. In daily conversations, we usually hear a lot of ideas that are interesting or make us interested. In English, we can use these expressions:
Expressions of interest in English
- It is a good idea!
- It is a great idea!
- That is really interesting!
- What a great idea!
- I’m really interested in that!
- Wow, that sounds amazing!
- That is really wonderful!
- What a wonderful idea!
Examples of expressing interest in English
- A: Hi Bob, we are going to go to the beach next Sunday. Would you like to join us?
- B: Wow, that is a great idea. I would love to.
- A: Amin told his friend, “I won the lottery”
- B: his friend said, “That’s wonderful, wow!”
What is a surprise?
Expressing Surprise – Surprise is the feelings that people express when something unexpected happens. If you are surprised, you may say: “Oh my God!”. In daily life, there are many cases when we are surprised by things that we have no idea could happen. In English, you can use these expressions to show surprise:
Expressions of surprise in English
- Oh my God!
- Oh my goodness!
- What a surprise!
- Wow, that’s surprising!
- What a wonderful surprise!
- I’m so surprised!
- I really didn’t expect that!
Examples of expressing surprise in English
- A: Najat was out of the city for a long time. Now, she is talking to her father and she is coming to visit them!
- B: her father says: “what a wonderful surprise! When will you come?”.
- A: your team didn’t train well and had a difficult game. A friend told you they won.
- B: you: “what a surprise! I really didn’t expect that!
Check you understanding